877-311-5134 appears to be a typical toll-free number used by the majority of US businesses. However, when this 877-311-5134 calls you, should you pick it up? as this could be one of the new methods scammers have discovered to defraud you.
Scammers are constantly coming up with new schemes. In the USA, numerous significant services frequently use the 877 number. When you see this number, your first thought will be to pick up the call. However, you must exercise caution because scam artists use the same numbers.
As a result of numerous people receiving calls from this particular number, it is starting to gain some recognition. If you are reading this article, the odds are good that you have already received a call. Maybe this number or one that is similar. We do advise reading the entirety of this article before you call back.
There is no certain way to identify who is calling. But in most situations, it’s a scammer posing as a legitimate firm. For example, they might pretend to be your insurance provider and ask for an OTP. Many people fall for this ruse. Since these numbers are widely used. Many people may not be aware that a scam like this exists. It has nothing to do with intellect. As people often presume, only dumb people get scammed.
Even if you don’t get the call from the exact same number. You should be aware that such numbers are frequently used to con people. Therefore, instead of picking up right away. When you miss a call from such a number. Read the following paragraphs and see what needs to be done to ensure it isn’t a scam.
There are some tried-and-true techniques to always verify that the other person is genuine and not a scammer. Even if scammers are constantly coming up with new ways to con you. They include:
- Never divulge any personal information. Especially OTPs, as fraudsters are much less likely to target you without them. Although you’ve probably heard this advice a lot. It is the most crucial one for avoiding scam artists.
- Scammers may use words like “verification,” when calling from numbers. For example, 877-311-5134 but you should be aware. This just implies you have already provided the necessary information and are not required to furnish all the specifics.
You can be sure that if your bank or insurance company is seeking to verify something. They will ask questions where you just need to provide information to support a portion of the claim.
- Scammers will undoubtedly request that you download some third-party software. For example, Anydesk or Teamviewer, so that they may observe your screen activity. You may believe that simply looking at your screen is harmless. But there are ways in which even a quick glance at your personal information could cause you to lose all of your money.
- Despite the fact that scam artists are becoming increasingly sophisticated, there are still some ways to identify a scam artist. When you are speaking with them, they will make a strong effort to persuade you. They always speak in haste and with an unprofessional tone.
Therefore, whenever you’re unsure. Try to pay attention to how they speak. If they ask for any personal information, always say that you’ll provide it to them in person when you go to their office.
There are numerous techniques to ensure that the likelihood of scammers calling you is as low as possible. Some of them are listed below:
- Since this is the most typical method of contemporary fraud, only provide your number if it is absolutely required. Nowadays, people readily share their phone numbers on several websites in exchange for petty perks. Never give out any personal information. Especially your phone number to scammers.
- Despite the fact that it is offered by practically all network providers, consumers frequently do not use it. You can utilize the do not disturb option, which will also assist you in avoiding calls from fraudsters because your carrier may immediately add the scammer’s phone number to your do not disturb list if it detects the number.
- Using well-known caller ID apps is one of the most popular and efficient ways to prevent con artists. If a number like 877-311-5134 is trying to con you, there’s a good chance they’ve already done it on others.
If you want to prevent them, utilize caller ID tools like Truecaller. When someone calls you from a spam number. TrueCaller’s caller ID turns red. Alerting you to the possibility that they are a fraudster. Nothing could be simpler than this.
- Never pick up calls from unknown callers. Although this may seem like an odd recommendation. It is advised that you take your time before deciding whether to accept it or not. When a number like this appears on your screen.
Since the bank or your insurance provider might not call you. Especially outside of business hours. You should also pay attention to the time of the call.
- If the number is legitimate they can also get in touch with you. Be it via email or mail delivered to your address. Due to the fact that these details are collected when you establish an account.
Obviously, if it’s a recognized person, they won’t call from such numbers. Therefore, if you’re doubtful, don’t call because it might save you a lot of money.
When you receive a call from such a number. The scenarios may vary. But they can generally be divided into these three categories.
- The first thing you should consider is the possibility that you may actually get a call from a real company. That is using the exact 877 code. The person who is phoning you might be an employee of a bank or insurance business. They might ask you for confirmation or information. Usually about your account. But they might merely ask a portion of a question. They might even invite you to their office if there is a problem. You don’t need to worry about anything because the situation is favorable to you.
- Although the second situation may not be as scary as fraud, it can nonetheless be very inconvenient. We are obviously referring to telemarketers since they use the same kind of numbers for telemarketing. So, if you realize they’re trying to sell you something. You can end the call. Because they won’t want to hang up unless they make a sale.
- The third scenario is the one where you have to be careful because it can actually be a scammer call from 877-311-5134. In this case, you need to be extremely cautious not to divulge any personal information that they could use against you. You should not only withhold any credentials. But you also need to disclose such numbers to the authorities. In order to prevent fraud among others.
What most people commonly do when they come across a scammer is that they usually just hang up the call. They might exchange some words and ask not to call again or they might take action. However, your duty does not stop there. As you might be smart but then the next target can be the elderly or people who are not so good with technology. So you should always report such numbers to the authorities. Nowadays, it has become incredibly easy to report such a number. So do your part. It may help others and maybe even your close ones.
Scammers are getting incredibly smart. So even when a number like 877-311-5134 may seem safe. You should always be careful. They impose themselves as legitimate businesses. Such as your bank or your insurance company.
Every day new scams are invented. Making it extremely difficult to remain ahead of them even if you stay informed. Stay informed about what’s happening around you at all times since you’ll learn about the scams that are taking place. Your best chance is to ignore calls from suspicious numbers. It’s not enough to simply ignore a call from a number like this that’s trying to scam you. You also need to report the number. This only requires a few taps on your phone. This can assist you in protecting your loved ones from fraud.